Washington DC has almost everything for the diverse tourist bunch, from eclectic neighborhoods to free-entry museums. The place is full of many wonderful activities to try and historic places to visit. There are lots of touring options while here – you could go for a Washington Monument tour, sightseeing tour, or night tour, just to name a few.
Regardless of all that, there are special times to visit some parts of the city, mainly because it has different things to offer you at different times of day, as well as during different seasons. During May Washington D.C. is bustling with all sorts of awesome springtime activity. Below is the list of events that would take place in the city during May.
It may sound a bit awkward, but with the help of a Washington tour guide, you would be able to go on an Arlington Cemetery tour. Visit the cemetery during the mornings for a wonderful chance at finding out more about the military history of the city, along with catching striking landscapes of this sanctified ground.
There are also evening tours to this place, so that you would be able to enjoy the beauty of the sunset. The warmer weather would also provide a good atmosphere for going on Potomac River cruises. Spring is also the best time to go for a trip to Mount Vernon, as there would be lots of springtime plants there at that time; also, you would be able to see numerous baby farm animals.
This program is held in the month of May, and takes you around the world without you having to leave the city. Passport DC occurs in a sequence of three weekends in May; on each occasion, guests get to walk around the many embassies located in the capitol. Each embassy showcases the cultural traditions and food from its particular country. You would not require any advance reservations or even an admission fee to enter. That said, be prepared to stand in long lines. The major events include the following.
- Around the World Embassy Tour: You get options to enjoy dance, food, art, fashion, and music from various countries. This event will be held on May 4, 2019.
- European Union Embassies’ Open House: This event takes you through the several embassies of the 28 European Union Member States. You would also be able to monitor the queues to any given embassy using a dedicated phone app. This event will be held on May 11, 2019.
- Fiesta Asia! Street Festival: This festival features live performances, outdoor craft exhibits, interactive displays, food and open market vendors, talent show, martial arts demonstration, cooking demo, and a lot more.
Enjoy a Concert
Washington DC has numerous venues that feature both local and nationwide touring acts. Below is the list of major artists that are performing in DC during May.
- Maren Morris: This concert will take place on May 2.
- Evanescence: This awesome concert will take place on May 15.
- Michael Bolton & NSO Pops: This will take place on May 21.
- The Avett Brothers: It will be held on May 23.
- Passion Pit: This concert will come to town on May 25.
- Luke Combs: This splendid concert is set for May 31.
- Rolling Stones: It will be held on May 31.
Along with all the above concerts many live musical performances will also be held, including the following.
- Memorial Day Capital Concert: The concert is going to be hosted on Sunday, May 26, 2019, at 8 pm. They do not charge you any entry fees.
- Kennedy Center Millennium Stage: This program is going to be held nightly at 6 pm in the month of May. It is free from any charges.
- Jazz in the Garden: The performance will be hosted on Friday evenings at National Gallery of Art 2019. The exact dates of the event are yet to be released.
Memorial Day is be celebrated by the weekend of May 27, 2019. There are always grand celebrations in DC during this time of year. Some of the biggest events to be held on the Memorial Day weekend are:
- Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally, which will be held on May 26, 2019. This is one of the much-awaited affairs of the year, and entry is free of cost.
- National Memorial Day Concert, which will take place on May 26, 2019, at 8 p.m. on the Capitol West Lawn. Entry is free of cost.
- National Memorial Day Parade, which will be hosted on May 27, 2019, at 2 p.m. on Constitution Ave North West. Entry is free of cost.